New Braunfels Wurstfest 2023, TX – Your Comprehensive Celebration Guide
New Braunfels, TX, is known for its unique old-world charm, its beautiful location at the rim of the Texas Hill Country, and its ability to give residents and visitors a genuine small-town feel within easy striking distance of San Antonio and its many amenities. For more than a week every autumn, however, New Braunfels is also known for a paradox. That’s because every November, the best thing about New Braunfels… is the wurst.
What Is Wurstfest in New Braunfels, Texas?
Wurstfest is an Oktoberfest-style celebration that occurs at a seriously impressive scale, outdoing even many celebrations “back in the old country.” Wurstfest New Braunfels includes everything you’d expect from a Texas-sized celebration of German culture:
- Dancing and music, including traditional Alpine folk music as well as some more contemporary acts
- Plenty of Bavarian and Texan beers
- Thrilling carnival-style games and rides
- Authentic German cuisine (with plenty of Texan BBQ within striking distance for those looking for alternatives)
While New Braunfels residents are among the most dedicated revelers, the New Braunfels Wurstfest also sees an annual influx of out-of-town visitors, with total Wurstfest attendance nearing a quarter million people in recent years!
When Is Wurstfest in New Braunfels 2023?
Wurstfest New Braunfels 2023 is coming up fast and will occur November 3-12. Visitors planning a trip to Texas centered on a visit to Wurstfest will have a full ten-day window in which to make their way to our unique Alpine-Texan celebration, but be aware that the schedule of events and entertainers can change from day to day.
For a full, up-to-date schedule, you can pay a visit to the official New Braunfels, Texas, Wurstfest website at wurstfest.com, which features a detailed breakdown of where and when all your favorite Wurstfest acts will be performed.
Some of the acts in the 2023 lineup include:
- Jodie Mikula Orchestra – Accordionist Jodie Mikula established this beloved family band focusing on traditional Czech polka numbers.
- Cloverleaf Orchestra – No strangers to the Wurstfest stage, this versatile outfit specializes in the traditional German music that Wurstfest is known for but can seamlessly switch to other dance-worthy styles if the mood calls for it.
- AlpenMusikanten – Thankfully, you don’t have to attempt to pronounce the band name to enjoy this vintage polka outfit that has been evolving and delighting audiences since its formation as a trio back in 1990.
- Mark Halata & Texavia – Another standard bearer in the proud tradition of Texan-Czech accordionists, Mark Halata’s Texavia hails from the Houston area.
- Terry Cavanagh & Alpine Express – Self-styled as “America’s Oktoberfest band,” you need only hear a few bars of their jaunty and expertly performed tunes to agree it’s a well-earned title.
- Das Ist Lustig – The band name translates to “this is funny”, but their mastery of a vast catalog of beloved polka, folk, and variety songs is anything but laughable.
- Austin Polka Band – They may not get any points for creative band naming, but this polka band from Austin makes up for it with every toe-tapping tune they deliver.
- And so many other great acts are also slated to perform!
Getting Involved in New Braunfels Wurstfest
If you’re ready to be part of the Alpine action and celebrate Old World Bavaria under the big Texas sky, there are a number of ways you can get involved in Wurstfest:
- Tickets – Simply attending Wurstfest is, of course, the best first step for most people. There are various options for purchasing both admission and drink tickets online before the event, which can save you a lot of time when you arrive. It can also save you a ton of disappointment if gate tickets aren’t available when you arrive. Admission fees change daily, with most days’ tickets being around the $20 mark and some days (11/6, 11/7, 11/8, and 11/9) being free to the public. Children under 12 get free admittance to every day of Wurstfest, making the festival a great choice for families looking for fun on a budget.
- Vendors – If you have a business or brand that you think would make a great fit for Wurstfest, you can apply to be a vendor by downloading a form from the Wurstfest website and then returning it to the festival organizers via mail or e-mail.
- Employment – When your celebration of German culture and heritage attracts over 200,000 revelers every year, it takes a lot of dedicated workers to make it all run smoothly. Becoming one of them is a great way to take a hands-on role in the annual fun while also earning an income. You can apply for a seasonal position with the Wurstfest Association of New Braunfels through a page on Wurstfest’s official website.
- Attend Satellite Events – While the main focus of this ten-day Bavarian boogie is Wurstfest itself, many local businesses and groups throughout New Braunfels add to the celebration in their own independent ways. Look for all sorts of specials and events throughout New Braunfels and the surrounding area while Wurstfest continues. Take part in museum tours, the annual Wurst five-mile run/walk, or even the Wurstfest Regatta on Canyon Lake in the nearby Texas Hill Country.
- Move to New Braunfels – If Wurstfest is the highlight of your year, maybe it’s time to consider moving to the heart of it all. The “Wurstwagen” shuttle service offered by the festival organizers is great, but it can’t compare to actually living near the festival grounds and being a part of New Braunfels year-round. The Mayfair residential development resonates with the charming, small-town spirit of New Braunfels and makes an awesome home base for Wurstfest fun, excursions to the Texas Hill Country wine trail, and a lifetime of other big Texas adventures.
Mayfair, TX – The Ultimate Home for Wurstfest Enthusiasts
If you love the Bavarian vibes and Old World charm of your annual Wurstfest visit, a permanent home in New Braunfels might be more accessible than you think. Visit the Mayfair New Braunfels main page and click the “Stay Connected” link in the upper left corner so that you can be the first to know about new units available.